Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Prodigal

I preached from Luke 15 about the Prodigal this past Sunday. For me, this is one of the most powerful stories Jesus told. I tried to focus on the lostness of the elder brother because it is many times overlooked.

I obtained the following entry from a friend and member of our church. I believe we can all relate.


In December I was punched in the gut by a friend’s blog about the prodigal son. For weeks I’ve been trying to figure out what my deal is. To provide some context, let me share a few things about myself.

1. I hold the value of stewardship in the highest regard.

2. My personal mantras include: Life isn’t fair. Choices have consequences (read “you reap what you sow”). You have to take responsibility for your own s#!+ (am I allowed to print that in the bulletin?). If you don’t like your life then change it.

3. I have an exaggerated sense of fairness and “right-ness.”

My “tough love” approach to life sadly doesn’t allow much room for error; nor does it make up for my lack of compassion for poor judgment or even simple mistakes. (Somebody make me a “Little Miss Merciful” t-shirt.)

I’ve always completely identified with the older brother in Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son. I mean, his kid brother cashed out early, left home to see the world, partied like a rock star, and got to come back to a brilliant reception like he hadn’t just flushed his inheritance down the toilet or sullied the family name. (And the fact that this kid wasted what his father had worked so hard for makes me see red.)

So I’ve been thinking really, really hard about my attitude. I’ve started seeing the younger son in a new light. The shame he must’ve suffered makes my heart heavy. And imagining the guilt and grief he felt when his father welcomed him without question or judgment nearly makes me cry. And the picture of him in my mind, flushed with embarrassment when he can read his brother’s mind . . . and I am that brother. God, forgive.

Not to be trite, but this younger brother seems to follow my same life philosophy. He realized that his poor choices had negative consequences, but those consequences were not irrevocable. He took responsibility for his actions and changed his life. And he found out that sometimes life is not fair. And isn’t that wonderful?

No comments: