Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Doubting Thomas

This coming Sunday I am going to preach from John 20 and focus on Thomas' experience. Whether you are familiar with Scripture or not, most people have heard the expression, "Doubting Thomas". This term is used to describe someone who refuses to believe something without hard proof... a skeptic. Most of the time, this term has a negative connotation. 

I have been listening to sermons and doing a little study on my own and have concluded that Thomas has gotten a bum rap. I am still putting things together for my message so a I don't have a fully developed perspective, but I will say that as I continue to study the Scripture and even reflect on my own life experience I realize that I am very much like Thomas. 

And the thing that Thomas wanted and longed for is the very thing I want and long for... to encounter the Living Son of God.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

I totally just commented on Missy's latest FB note that Daniel has always resented the fact that "Doubting Thomas" is always spoken of badly. I'm excited for your sermon.